Shimoga or as it is known now Shivamogga is in the central part of Karnataka and is at the distance of 273 km from.The city derives its name from the word Shiva-Mukha meaning the visage of Shiva. Also another origin of the name is Si hi-Moga which means sweet pot. Shimoga was the southernmost kingdom of Ashoka's empire and was ruled later by Kadambas, Chalukyas, Rashtrkutas , Hoysalas and by the Vijayanagar rulers. It got its independence under the rule of Keladi Nayaks Shimoga is situated at an altitude of 569 m and has now turned into an industrial and commercial hub.
Places to Visit :
• Fort, Church of The Sacred Heart of Jesus and Museum in the city
• Gajanur ,it's a dam , 10km away from Shimoga and is ideal for picnic. You will get to see elephant camp here.
• Tyavarekoppa, enjoy lion and tiger safari here
• Agumbe which is at a distance of 70km is well known for the breathtaking view of sunset
• Jog falls, 105km away , is most cherished destination of the tourists. Find the River Sharavathi cascading down the height of 292 m in four different series of falls , Raja, Rani,Rocket and Roarer . This is the highest waterfall in India
• Sharavathi Wildlife Sanctuary, enjoy water sports in the backwaters here.
• Kodachadri is a picturesque hill station ensconced in the Western Ghats , 120km away
• Mandagadde and Gudavi Bird Sanctuaries, a must for bird watchers
How To Reach :
Air: Nearest airport is Mangalore, an airport is being constructed here also
Rail: Shimoga Railway Station well connected to Bangalore, Mysore ,Hubli.
Road: Well connected road network,leading to all parts of Karnataka
South India Tour Travel organizes tours to Shimoga